The Healthy Pillow September 29 2015
I am often asked "How do I know if I have a healthy pillow or if I need a new one?"
So I ask "How did you sleep last night? How did you wake up this morning?"
Top 4 reasons you need a new pillow, ASAP:
- You wake up with symptoms of airborne allergies (see below).
- Your pillow is filled with down, poly, memory foam or other non-organic materials. *It contains chemicals, flame retardants and synthetics.
- You wake up with neck, shoulder or back aches and pains.
- Your pillow celebrated a birthday (is 1 year old or older).
If these reasons caused you to have questions, that's great! They should! We address many of the health issues associated with traditional pillow fills in a post I wrote a while back, called 'A Million Fungus Among Us'. To paraphrase: "...inside a pillow that is 12 months old or older are so many gross and unhealthy things. There is mold, bacteria, dust-mites and their feces, skin cells, and if that isn't bad enough- FUNGUS."
The #1 cause for allergies in the US are airborne allergens.
What are airborne allergens? (Hint: 3 of these are more than likely INSIDE your pillow right now.)
- Dust Mites
The signs and symptoms are familiar to many:
- Sneezing often accompanied by a runny or clogged nose
- Coughing and postnasal drip
- Itching eyes, nose, and throat
- Allergic shiners (dark circles under the eyes, caused by increased blood flow near the sinuses)
- The "allergic salute" (in a child, persistent upward rubbing of the nose that causes a crease mark on the nose)
- Watering eyes
- Conjunctivitis (an inflammation of the membrane that lines the eyelids, causing red-rimmed, swollen eyes, and crusting of the eyelids)
Washing your pillow and covering it with a protective cover will help, but why just continue to fight a battle that you can avoid all together? Wool and latex are hypoallergenic, dust mite resistant (NO DUST MITES), anti-fungal, anti-microbial and when organic and untreated- they are chemical, synthetic and poison free. Safe and healthy. They are safe and healthy. You don't need to wash them every month. You don't need a protective cover on pillows containing these fills because there is nothing to protect against!
Still have questions? Email me at email@example.com and I am happy to help!